Sharing my grandma’s blueberry slump recipe today, the simplest & most nostalgic summer dessert. Sweet, juicy blueberries baked until bubbling, with a simple vanilla batter on top that bakes up like a soft, rich cake. Served warm right out of the oven with vanilla ice cream alongside.
I’m so excited to be back with another family classic today!! I started this series back in April, and since then have shared busia’s sour cream cucumbers, my dad’s lemon chicken, and nonna’s classic cheesecake. These recipes have been very well-loved on the blog and for good reason – they’re just really easy, extra comforting recipes. Nothing fancy and everything delicious.
These family classics are recipes my family and I have grown up on. Ones that have been passed down from generation to generation. And I couldn’t think of a more iconic or more special recipe to my family than my busia’s blueberry slump.
blueberry slump – the story
We’ve been eating this blueberry slump since we were kids. And recently, it’s become the very dessert that my grandma makes in Galena when we visit her and my grandpa in the summertime around my birthday. She usually prepares it ahead of time, while we’re all out golfing or bike riding through town. When we get back to their house, you can smell the intoxicating baked blueberry & vanilla smell…and we all know that slump is for dessert!
After we eat dinner, she’ll throw it back in the oven to heat through…so it’s nice and warm for spooning vanilla ice cream over top. It’s one of our favorite recipes of hers and no summer is complete without one! Since this summer we weren’t able to make it out to Galena around my birthday, I figured I had to make her blueberry slump myself…
And while it didn’t have her special touch, it took me and my family right back to Galena. And luckily, it’s now on the blog for all of you to enjoy! I know you will absolutely love this one as much as we do.Print
Family Classics: Busia’s Blueberry Slump
a warm blueberry dessert with a soft vanilla-flavored dough baked until golden over top and served with vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ lbs (about 4 cups) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch kosher salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with butter. Gently toss the blueberry with half of the sugar and pour into the prepared dish.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining sugar in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to toss and combine.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and milk. Heat over low heat until the butter has melted. Add the warm milk mixture and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spread the batter over the blueberries. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned. Let cool for 5 minutes. Spoon the slump onto plates and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside.