Sharing a new pizza just in time for the weekend! Caramelized leek pizza with fontina cheese and spicy honey. It’s a really simple ingredient combination with fresh spring flavor and rich, buttery leeks. Full of chives, fresh basil, and lots of melted cheese. The drizzle of honey that’s been infused with crushed red pepper seals the deal. Definitely one to try on your next pizza night!
caramelized leek pizza – the details
Ending the week with this simple caramelized leek pizza! Because nothing is better than a weekend pizza night…especially a homemade one.
You can buy some pizza dough from your favorite store, or whip up a batch of this homemade pizza dough recipe I’ve got on the blog. It’s easy to follow and results in a soft, slightly chewy pizza crust with crisp edges when baked in a very hot oven.
One of my favorite spring ingredients to cook with are leeks. They’re milder and slightly sweeter than onions. When they cook, I find that they have somewhat of a buttery taste that is so delicious.
I wanted to let that flavor really come through on this pizza, so all of the other ingredients are fairly minimal – olive oil as the base, fontina & mozzarella cheeses, chives for another onion-y bite, fresh basil on top, and then a drizzle of honey that’s been infused with crushed red pepper.
It’s not extremely spicy (you can always add more crushed red pepper on top if you want it even spicier), but the red pepper gives the honey a subtle spiciness that works really well with the leeks and melted cheese.
So get your ovens on and whip up this fun & easy pizza this weekend!! Maybe add on a simple salad and end the night with my brown sugar strawberry crisp!
If you’re looking for more pizza recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Caramelized Leek Pizza with Spicy Honey
homemade pizza with caramelized leeks, chives, fontina & mozzarella cheeses, spicy honey, and fresh basil
yield: 4 (10”) pizzas
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, plus more for topping if you like heat
- 4 (7 oz) pizza dough balls (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced ¼” (white & light green sections only)
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- ½ lb shredded fontina cheese
- ½ lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves, for topping
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Combine the honey, crushed red pepper, and 2 teaspoons of water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for about 45 seconds. Turn off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 550°F. Let the pizza dough sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes to take the chill off.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and let melt. Add the leeks. Saute for just a few minutes until tender and beginning to caramelize. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the chives and a pinch of salt.
- Roll each dough ball out into a 10” circle. Invert two sheet pans and dust them lightly with flour. Place the circles of dough onto the pans. Brush the dough with olive oil to coat the entire surface. Distribute about ¾ of the fontina and mozzarella cheeses on top of the dough, leaving a ½” border for the crust.
- Top the pizzas with the caramelized leeks and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted. Transfer the pizzas to a cutting board.
- Top with the remaining chives, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of spicy honey. Slice and serve immediately.