It’s simple, it’s classic, and it’s exactly what you should be baking right now: a summer plum galette. With golden, crispy edges and a juicy & sweet plum filling. The perfect dessert to highlight summer stone fruit at its best!
summer plum galette – the details
I just love how rustic this plum galette is. Summer is really the time to lighten up on ingredients and let the seasonal produce shine. This galette is one of those recipes that you will feel SO good making. Because it’s relaxed, and honestly just a lot of fun.
The dough is made in the food processor and there’s really no reason to worry about it. It’s one of those “no-fuss” doughs that pretty much turns out perfectly every time. One thing to make sure you do is keep your butter and water nice and cold. It helps create that beautiful flaky, yet tender texture.
From there, all you need to do is find a farmer’s market and pick up some plums! They are everywhere right now…all sorts of colors and varieties. I just love a mix of black and red plums in this galette, but any type would work (other stone fruit like peaches or nectarines would be great as well).
You’ll mix the plums with brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch to help the mixture thicken. After 20 minutes, the sugars dissolve and the plums are ready for the dough. All that remaining lemony brown sugar syrup gets spooned over top when baking.
The result? Golden, crisp dough that’s flaky and soft on the inside, with an irresistible plum filling. The sweetness is subtle, and not overpowering, so it’s perfect for adding a big scoop of ice cream to melt over top!
Trust me, you are going to love it!
If you’re looking for more summer dessert recipes, here are a few to try:
Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies
Family Classics: Busia’s Blueberry Slump
Almond Peach Crisp
Summer Plum Galette
a classic, simple summer plum galette served with melty ice cream over top
- 6 ½ oz all-purpose flour
- 1 oz granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick (4 oz) butter, cold + cubed
- ¼ cup ice cold water
Plum Filling & Baking the Galette
- ¾ lb sliced plums (about 1.5 lbs whole plums to start)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- coarse raw sugar, for sprinkling
- ice cream, for serving
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stream in the cold water. The dough should come together and pull away from the sides.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface and shape it into a flat, 1” disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 45 minutes.
Plum Filling & Baking the Galette
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Combine the sliced plums with both sugars, the cornstarch, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Gently toss until well mixed. Let sit for about 20 minutes until the sugars are dissolved.
- Meanwhile, let the chilled dough sit out at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes until soft enough to roll out. Working on a floured surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer the dough to the sheet pan. Use a slotted spoon to drain the plums and arrange them in the center of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold and pinch the edges over the plum filling. Drizzle half of the brown sugar syrup from the bowl over the plums.
- Whisk the egg yolk and milk together to create an “egg wash”. Brush the edges with the egg wash and then sprinkle the raw sugar on top.
- Bake the galette for 20 minutes. Drizzle the remaining syrup over the plums. Turn the pan and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream.
You could use any other stone fruit for this galette as well. Peaches, nectarines, apricots, etc. would all be great!
shop the dish: summer plum galette
5 thoughts on “Summer Plum Galette”