Sharing a very flavorful steak & egg salad with caper vinaigrette today. I’d call this my go-to lunch entree salad. Perfect for entertaining or making for a simple weekend lunch with family. It’s hearty and satisfying, made with seared steak and hard-boiled eggs. Tossed with feta, garlicky roasted tomatoes, radishes, dill, and a tangy caper vinaigrette.
I think everyone should have a recipe for a good entree salad. It’s the perfect thing to throw together when serving others. You can serve it with some bread or make it into a larger meal with a soup alongside.
My definition of an entree salad is essentially any salad that includes a main protein. Something like this roasted red pepper & chicken salad or even this harvest salad. They’re a little bit heartier than a simpler table salad. And definitely can stand on their own as a main meal.
the details of this steak & egg salad…
This steak & egg salad is something I would imagine eating in a little bistro. It’s bright and tangy in flavor, while feeling rich and satisfying at the same time.
Composed of soft butter lettuce that gets drizzled with the briny caper vinaigrette. Then topped with the steak (I think a simply seasoned and seared New York strip steak works really well for this salad, but you can cook and slice up any type of steak you’d like!). A few hard-boiled eggs add even more of a substantial component, with ingredients like salty feta, garlic-infused tomatoes in oil, sharp radishes, and fresh dill adding all the flavor.
I’d recommend making this steak & egg salad with my cozy ribollita soup, some crusty bread and butter, and a glass of red wine for the loveliest (lighter) winter meal.Print
Steak & Egg Salad with Caper Vinaigrette
a seared steak and egg butter lettuce salad with feta, garlicky roasted tomatoes, radishes, dill, and a tangy caper vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp caper brine liquid (from caper jar)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup neutral-flavored oil
- ½ cup drained capers
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Steak & Egg Salad
- 1 lb new york strip steak
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- neutral-flavored oil
- 4.5 oz trimmed butter lettuce
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup garlicky roasted tomatoes in oil*
- 2 radishes, thinly shaved
- 1 tbsp fresh dill leaves
- Combine the lemon juice, caper brine liquid, dijon mustard, and honey in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in both oils, whisking continuously until emulsified. Stir in the capers, garlic, and salt. Set aside
Steak & Egg Salad
- Pat the steak dry and allow it to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Season well with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper on all sides. Heat a large stainless steel pan (or cast-iron skillet) over medium heat. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the steak into the pan.
- Allow the steak to sear on one side until browned and slightly crisp. Flip the steak and continue to cook until your desired doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak.
- To assemble the salad, spread the butter lettuce out onto a large platter. Drizzle with half of the caper vinaigrette. Arrange the steak, eggs, feta, tomatoes, radishes, and dill evenly on top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over top and season with freshly cracked black pepper. Toss salad or serve as is.
*I found these in the olive bar at Whole Foods, and they’re delicious. But you can also find jarred sun-dried tomatoes in oil at the store as well.