A Valentine’s Day dinner that is just as tasty as it is special: pomegranate skirt steak with whipped feta. Skirt steak seared simply and served on top of creamy whipped feta cheese, topped with a sweet pomegranate sauce, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, scallions, and chives. You can serve this with homemade naan bread (my personal favorite) or even some roasted potatoes. I adore this dish for any occasion, but especially for a festive, colorful Valentine’s Day meal.
A favorite dish (of mine and here on the blog) from last summer is this whipped feta with roasted tomatoes. It’s simple yet so drool-worthy. Of course there are intensely sweet, juicy cherry tomatoes involved, but I think the flavorful whipped feta really made this dish stand out.
I decided it is simply too good to only use in one dish, so I’ve incorporated it into this pomegranate skirt steak recipe. And from the taste of it, it has me thinking maybe whipped feta just makes everything a little bit better…
The pomegranate skirt steak itself is really exciting and delicious. The steak gets seared in a hot pan until deeply brown and it develops a good crust. You can cook it to your desired temperature, mine being just medium. You’ll want to let the meat rest before slicing thin and serving immediately (sliced steak cools off rather quickly).
In the meantime, you’ll be reducing pomegranate juice and honey in a saucepan until it’s a silky-smooth glaze to drizzle over the steak. And when all of this is placed over the whipped feta? It’s the perfect combination of rich, sweet, salty, and savory. A few bright toppings bring it all together. Plus, I serve this with warm homemade naan bread for dipping (you can also buy store-bought naan if you’re in a pinch).
The whole thing is fun and festive…definitely not your average Valentine’s Day meal, but it’s beyond good. I’d serve the pomegranate skirt steak with these roasted carrots to complete the feast for a cozy night this Friday!Print
Pomegranate Skirt Steak with Whipped Feta
a fun and festive seared skirt steak over creamy whipped feta cheese, topped with a sweet pomegranate sauce, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, scallions, and chives
- 6 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 4 oz greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 tbsp water
Pomegranate Skirt Steak
- ¾ lb skirt steak, cut in half
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- neutral-flavored oil
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp minced chives
- naan bread (homemade or store-bought), warm
- In a food processor, combine the feta, greek yogurt, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adding a little more water if needed to loosen the spread.
Pomegranate Skirt Steak
- Pat the skirt steak dry and allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Combine the pomegranate juice and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring to incorporate the honey. Lower the heat to medium-low and let reduce for 10-15 minutes until syrupy. Turn off the heat and reserve.
- Meanwhile, heat a large stainless steel pan (or cast-iron skillet) over medium heat. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom. Season the skirt steak well with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place the skirt steak into the pan.
- Allow the steak to sear on one side until deeply brown and crisp (the steak should release from the pan on its own). Flip the steak and continue to cook until your desired temperature, just a few more minutes for medium. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and loosely tent with a piece of foil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak. Spread the whipped feta onto a large plate. Arrange the sliced steak on top. Drizzle the pomegranate sauce over the steak.
- Garnish with the pomegranate seeds, pistachios, scallions, and chives. Drizzle a little more olive oil over top. Serve with the warm naan bread on the side for dipping.
This recipe doubles really well for 4 people as well!