A spring root vegetable salad so delicious you’ll be making it over and over again! It’s a mix of root vegetables roasted until caramelized, tossed with arugula, spinach, and a pistachio vinaigrette, then drizzled with tangy yogurt. It’s such a great combination of flavors and makes for an easy, flavorful side dish at any spring dinner!
spring root vegetable salad – the details
I’m using a combination of golden beets, purple-top turnips, carrots, and radishes for this spring root vegetable salad. It’s such a hearty, delicious, and beautiful mix of vegetables that all get coated in olive oil and roasted until caramelized.
It’s extremely easy to swap things out, though, and substitute for vegetables you have on hand or can find at the store! After the vegetables roast for 20 minutes, you’ll add some thinly sliced shallots to the pans so they can crisp up in the olive oil. If you can’t find shallots, you can use a really thinly sliced red onion.
Anything to give a sharp onion bite to the sweet roasted vegetables.
Once all of the vegetables are roasted, this salad comes together SO easily. Toss the vegetables with some greens, drizzle in the crunchy pistachio vinaigrette (flavored with honey, lemon, and garlic), and plate it in your prettiest salad bowl.
The finishing touch? A drizzle of tangy Greek yogurt that’s been thinned out with a splash of milk. It’s kind of an optional added step, but I absolutely LOVED how it tasted with this simple salad.
If you’re looking for more salad recipes, here are a few favorites:Print
Spring Root Vegetable Salad with Pistachio Vinaigrette
a roasted spring root vegetable salad with pistachio vinaigrette and a drizzle of creamy yogurt
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz roasted, salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad
- 1 ½ lbs golden beets, peeled + ends trimmed
- 1 ¼ lbs purple-top turnips, ends trimmed
- ½ lb long carrots, scrubbed + cut lengthwise
- ½ lb radishes, halved lengthwise
- olive oil
- 4 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 oz arugula
- 1 oz spinach
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- For the pistachio vinaigrette, combine the white wine vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and honey in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Stir in the pistachios. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cut the beets and turnips so that they’re all roughly the same size (see photos for reference). Divide all of the vegetables between 2 half sheet pans. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well to coat. Spread the vegetables into an even layer. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Distribute the sliced shallots onto the sheet pans. Continue to roast for 25-30 more minutes, or until caramelized and tender. Let the vegetables cool on the pans for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the roasted vegetables, arugula, and spinach in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle in the pistachio vinaigrette and toss to combine. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Arrange the salad in a large serving bowl. Whisk the greek yogurt and milk together. Drizzle over the salad. Top with black pepper.
shop the dish: spring root vegetable salad with pistachio vinaigrette