Sharing a festive summer appetizer for your Fourth of July weekend: burrata with balsamic strawberries & basil! This dish is so simple, yet bursting with sweet and savory fresh summer flavor. Creamy burrata cheese topped with both jammy balsamic strawberries and fresh marinated strawberries…with honey, red pepper flakes, and lemon running throughout.
burrata with balsamic strawberries & basil – the details
You’ll start things off by simmering strawberries down to a jammy consistency. A splash of balsamic vinegar adds rich tang, a little honey for sweetness, and a pinch of red pepper flakes adds a subtle hint of heat. After just about 25 minutes, the mixture will be thick and jam-like, with an intensely rich strawberry flavor.
Since this dish is really all about the strawberries, we’re doubling up and quickly marinating fresh strawberries with more honey, lemon juice, and basil for an additional bright strawberry topping.
The mix of both jammy & fresh strawberries is not only beautiful but so, so delicious.
All that’s left to do is assemble – you’ll arrange the creamy burrata cheese onto a plate with all the strawberry goodness spooned over top.
The finishing touches? An extra drizzle of olive oil, a little flaky sea salt to bring out all the flavors, some freshly cracked black pepper, and if you like heat…an extra pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
Serve it with toasted bread and dig right on in! Enjoy!!
If you’re looking for more summer appetizer recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Burrata with Balsamic Strawberries & Basil
burrata cheese topped with both jammy balsamic strawberries & marinated fresh strawberries…served with toasted bread
- 1 lb strawberries, stemmed + quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- 6 strawberries, stemmed + very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 small handful torn basil leaves
- olive oil
- 2 balls burrata cheese, torn
- flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- extra red pepper flakes (optional)
- toasted bread, for serving
- For the balsamic strawberries, combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt in a 2 qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, or until thick and jam-like. Turn off the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining sliced strawberries, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, a pinch of salt, and a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl. Toss to combine and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- To assemble, arrange the torn burrata onto a large plate. Spoon the balsamic strawberries and marinated strawberries over top.
- Drizzle on a little extra olive oil. Season with a pinch of flaky sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional). Serve the toasted bread alongside.
shop the dish: burrata with balsamic strawberries & basil