This last-minute easy appetizer is exactly what you need to start a summer meal: marinated tomato toast with creme fraiche & herbs. Thick slices of fresh bread toasted in olive oil, then topped with a swoosh of creme fraiche and a mound of herb and vinegar marinated cherry tomatoes. I’d say it’s the definition of summer in a bite!
marinated tomato toast – the details
I found these beautiful little orange cherry tomatoes the other day at the farmer’s market and couldn’t help but turn them into a marinated tomato toast. It’s the perfect appetizer for when you need something quick and fresh…and absolutely delicious.
The key is really in the marinade. You’ll toss the sweet cherry tomatoes with scallions, chives, basil, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. After just 15 minutes, all of the flavors meld together and infuse the tomatoes with an herby, tangy bite.
For the toast, you can use whatever bread you’d like, but I recommend a fresh loaf of bread from your store’s bakery section. One that’s crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. Sourdough would be great, or even an Italian loaf. At Whole Foods, I love using their “Ancient Grain” bread which has the most unique flavor and incredible texture.
You’ll toast it up in some olive oil in a hot skillet. Definitely an extra step, but so worth it. There’s nothing like olive oil toasted bread. Season it with a pinch of salt and it’s ready to be topped!
To balance out the tangy tomatoes, we need something creamy so I grabbed a tub of creme fraiche to slather onto the bread. It’s thick and smooth, and overall just has a really fresh cream flavor. A whole milk ricotta or even mascarpone would work as well.
Last thing to do is just mound the marinated tomatoes right on top. If you’re serving this toast for a crowd, definitely make extra because it’ll go very quickly!
If you’re looking for more summer appetizer recipes, here are a few to try:Print
Marinated Tomato Toast with Creme Fraiche & Herbs
the easiest vinegar & olive oil marinated tomato toast with creme fraiche, scallions, basil, and chives
servings: 8 appetizer portions
- ¾ lb cherry tomatoes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 1 small handful torn basil leaves
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus more as needed
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 large slices fresh crusty bread, ½” thick
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- Cut the tomatoes in half (if they’re smaller) or quarters (if they’re larger). Add them to a mixing bowl with the scallions, chives, basil, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Toss to combine. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to generously coat the bottom. Add the slices of bread and toast on both sides until golden and crisp, just a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a cutting board and season with a pinch of salt. Let cool slightly.
- Cut each slice of bread in half. Spread a dollop of creme fraiche onto each piece. Season with salt and black pepper. Mound the marinated tomatoes over top. Top with any extra herbs.