We’re talking healthy entertaining today with this charred scallion turmeric yogurt dip. It’s a boldly flavored dip full of sizzled scallions, crushed red pepper, lemon zest, turmeric, coriander, and honey. The base is Greek yogurt so it’s not only delicious but nourishing as well. Serve this at your next winter dinner party to start things off on a light, but very tasty note.
November and December were full of indulgent holiday entertaining with all the cheese, bread, and sugar one could ever need. So this time of year I like to lighten things up (see my 24 best healthy recipes), even when cooking for a crowd. Keeping all the flavor but serving something a little more fresh and vibrant.
Today’s turmeric yogurt dip is just that. I was going for a play on my classic onion dip (which is amazing if you’re in the mood for it!). Without the richness from sour cream, I added in a LOT of other flavor in the form of charred scallions and spices.
The result is a dip that’s just as crave-worthy than a heavier, more indulgent recipe.
here’s how you make this turmeric yogurt dip…
Cook some sliced scallions in a hot skillet until slightly charred.
Stir in red pepper flakes and lemon zest so the heat can release their flavors.
Cool this mixture down and combine it with greek yogurt, turmeric, coriander, lemon juice, and just a bit of honey for sweetness.
Whisk it all together and serve it with your favorite dipping ingredient – I like either seedy crackers, toasted whole grain bread, or some radishes. You could do any assortment of vegetables, too…maybe some carrots or even roasted vegetables like beets and sweet potatoes. Sweet potato chips would be amazing as well! So many options.
All in all, while there’s always a time and place for a classic, rich appetizer, I absolutely love having this yogurt dip recipe in my back pocket when I want something just a little bit less heavy.
The taste is absolutely incredible, and I hope you love it as much as I do.Print
Charred Scallion Turmeric Yogurt Dip
a healthy turmeric yogurt dip with charred scallions and lemon
servings: 8-10 appetizer servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- kosher salt
- 1 ½ lb greek yogurt
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- minced chives and parsley leaves, to garnish
- seedy crackers, toasted bread, radishes, etc. (for serving)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced scallions. Let cook for a few minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Lower the heat to medium and stir in the red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Cook for another minute or so. Turn off the heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the greek yogurt, turmeric, coriander, and a ½ teaspoon of salt together. Stir in the lemon juice and honey. Lastly, stir in the cooled scallion mixture.
- Serve the dip with a generous sprinkle of chives and parsley leaves with crackers, toasted bread, or radishes on the side for dipping.